Skip to main content

VP: President Buhari Disturbed Over Lockdown Challenges

As Nigerians continue to stay at home following the total lockdown imposed on Lagos, Ogun and Abuja over the coronavirus pandemic, vice president Yemi Osinbajo has stated that President Muhammadu Buhari is very much concerned about the daily survival of Nigerians among other issues associated with the lockdown.

He made this known on NTA news shortly after meeting with Buhari.
“What we are concerned about is how to ensure that the economy remains stable, that jobs are protected and if possible, more jobs are created,” he said.
“We are very concerned about that and the President has expressed very serious concerns about the problems that may be associated with the lockdown.
“Many of our people work for a daily wage, they have to go out to work, so we have to think in terms of how to ensure that we are able to give them some succour during the period when they are not able to work.
“Some of those issues are the issues Mr President wanted me to discuss fully with him. Of course, we have the Economic Sustainability Committee and shortly we are going to submit a full report to Mr President on our thoughts and ideas.
“Mr President asked me to meet with him, in particular, to resolve some of the pressing issues around COVID-19 and also around the economic problems that we are seeing already.”
Nigeria has recorded 305 cases of COVID-19. While 58 patients have recovered, seven persons have died from the disease.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1983: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari's Speech After The Coup

"In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is with humility and a deep sense of responsibility that I accept this challenge and call to national duty. Major-General Muhammadu Buhari As you must have heard in the previous announcement, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1979) has been suspended, except those sections of it which are exempted in the constitution. The change became necessary in order to put an end to the serious economic predicament and the crisis of confidence now afflicting our nation. Consequently, the Nigerian armed forces have constituted themselves into a Federal Military Government comprising of a S...

1966: HOW BRIGADIER MAIMALARI WAS MURDERED BY HIS CHIEF-OF-STAFF

1966: HOW BRIGADIER MAIMALARI WAS MURDERED BY HIS CHIEF-OF-STAFF "Yakubu! Yakubu! Who are those shooting in your house?" Brigadier Zakariya Mai-Malari, Commande r of the 2nd Brigade, Lagos, screamed into the phone. His phone had been ringing and he had just woken up to pick it at his 11, Thompson Avenue, Ikoyi, home in Lagos around 2am, where a cocktail party had just ended few hours earlier. It was Lieutenant-Colonel James Yakubu Pam, the Adjutant-General of the Nigerian Army, who was calling to report some shootings in his compound and that some soldiers had gained forceful entry into his bedroom to arrest him. Mai-Malari had hardly spoken to Pam when he himself heard gunshots at his own gate. Mai-Malari's guard commander who had adamantly denied the mutineers entrance to the residence had been killed. Immediately Mai-Malari heard the gunshots, he dropped the phone, ran upstairs to pick up his teenage wife and kept her at the servants’ quarters. He scaled the ta...

Chibok girls are still our priority - President Buhari

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari on Monday said that his administration has not forgotten the remaining schoolgirls still being held in captivity and that they are still a priority. The schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram insurgents from Chibok community, Borno State, in April, 2014. He expressed optimism that the remaining schoolgirls will still regain their freedom. In a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity Mallam Garba Shehu, President Buhari, said security and intelligence networks in the country were not resting on the task of rescuing the girls. The President extended his good wishes to the people of Chibok community, who held prayers and thanksgiving services to mark the sixth year memorial of the kidnap, however, regretted that the government was unable to make representation in this year’s memorial, owing to the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic and restriction on movements. The statement reads:  “President Muhammadu Buhari extends h...